WESTPORT - This week's cold snap is causing pipes to freeze.
Frank Calise, of Westport Plumbing, says a safely used hairdryer is fine to thaw pipes if they do freeze. Firefighters are cautioning residents, however, on trying to defrost pipes. They say a hairdryer left too close for too long on iced-over pipes can cause a fire.
Fire officials believe the method was the cause of a fire on Thursday in the garage of a Westport home on Bayberry Lane.
Plumbers say pipes are more likely to freeze when temperatures drop below the mid-20s.