1 hurt in Stamford hotel fire

A man is recovering after he accidentally set himself on fire at a Stamford hotel.It happened yesterday morning in a ballroom at the Stamford Plaza

STAMFORD - A man is recovering after he accidentally set himself on fire at a Stamford hotel.

It happened yesterday morning in a ballroom at the Stamford Plaza Hotel on Summer Street.

Police say the man worked for a private catering company and was trying to put out a can of Sterno by covering it with a paper plate.

They say when the plate caught fire, the man dropped the Sterno container, which lit his pants, the table cloth and the carpet on fire.

People at the event helped put out the flames.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

1 Connecticut Sportscast, Jan. 19
Soto's family describes the 31-year-old as funny, helpful, 2 Family mourns death of Stamford man killed in crash
Stamford police are seeking the gunman involved in 3 Stamford PD: Man shot in Main St. convenience store
Noel Esbri, 32, was later declared dead of 4 Man found shot to death inside Bridgeport apartment
Bridgeport police say a woman is in critical 5 Police: Woman shot in the head in Bridgeport

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Focus on Connecticut Focus on Connecticut

Features local, state and federal officials discussing the issues around southwestern Connecticut.

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut. Our Lives

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut.

Each week News 12 Connecticut introduces you to Hometown Hero

News 12 highlights people who give to the community.

We spotlight a local team each week. Connecticut Team of the Week

Each week News 12 Connecticut highlights a team from a local school.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE