NORWALK - A deadly fire tore through a Norwalk home early Tuesday morning, killing two people and sending another person to the hospital.

Fire officials say the blaze started at around 3 a.m. on the second floor of a house at 13 Burwell St. According to investigators, it appears the fire was sparked by a cigarette that wasn't properly put out.

Officials say the couple that lived on the second floor initially escaped the fire, but the wife went back inside and died. A friend of the couple that was staying at the house was rescued by firefighters, but later also died. The husband was taken to Bridgeport Hospital to be treated for severe burns. He is listed in critical condition.

"Our guys performed bravely and searched the residence," Deputy Chief Robert Talloni, of the Norwalk Fire Department. "Unfortunately, there was a bad outcome."

Firefighters say four other people who lived on the first floor of the house got out safely.

According to the fire marshal, there are smoke detectors in the house, but he's unsure if they were functional at the time of the blaze.