NORWALK - Two parties have settled in a civil lawsuit filed by the father of three children who died after their Stamford home caught fire on Christmas Day 2011.
According to court documents, the architect and electrical contractor who worked on the home before the fire have settled the suit for $1.2 million and will be dropped from the case. New Canaan Design Partners will pay $550,000 and Best Electrical will pay nearly $640,000.
The settlement leaves the city of Stamford as the sole defendant in the suit.
READ MORE: Connecticut Crime Stories
As News 12 previously reported, the fire killed 7-year-old twins Grace and Sarah Badger and 9-year-old Lily Badger, along with their maternal grandparents. The children's mother, Madonna Badger, and her boyfriend at the time, Michael Borcina, both escaped. Borcina was also the general contractor for renovations being done on the home.
Fire officials say the fire started in the mudroom after ashes from the fireplace were put there.
Matthew Badger initially sued Borcina, four other contractors and the city of Stamford, saying poor construction caused the home to quickly go up in flames. He has now settled with everyone but the city, which he says didn't properly inspect work being done at the home.
As part of the agreements, the architect and electrical contractor are required to cooperate with Badger's case against the city.