MILFORD - Two people are dead after an early morning fire in Milford.

Officials say the blaze started around 2 a.m. at a home on Brookdale Avenue. According to officials, Jimmy Hughes and his elderly mother Mona died after a lit cigarette started the fire. Jimmy Hughes was reportedly a smoker.

Fire officials say they found the woman's body in a closet on the second floor and her son just 2 feet away from the door on the first floor.

A third person, David Lane, was able to escape the fire.

Authorities say the blaze was intensified by oxygen tanks Jimmy Hughes relied on. Officials say there were no smoke detectors in the home.