6 hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning in Fairfield

Six family members were hospitalized after emergency responders found them violently ill with carbon monoxide poisoning at their Fairfield home.George Gomola, Fairfield's assistant fire chief,

FAIRFIELD - Six family members were hospitalized after emergency responders found them violently ill with carbon monoxide poisoning at their Fairfield home.

George Gomola, Fairfield's assistant fire chief, says the carbon monoxide levels inside the home were off the charts. The family had been running a generator in their basement for six hours after their power went out, and the house filled with fumes.

Officials stress that homeowners need to practice safety when running a generator at home, and that because it produces carbon monoxide, it needs to be placed outside the home.

The victims were put on pure oxygen, and a 13-year-old boy is still undergoing treatment in a hyperbaric chamber at Norwalk Hospital.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

They say crews arrived shortly after receiving a 1 Woman killed in Norwalk fire
A teen from Bridgeport was honored Sunday for 2 Bridgeport teen gives speech at United Nations
A Bridgeport man kicked off a fundraiser he 3 Bridgeport man raising funds for son with special needs
4 Metro-North advises residents of holiday schedule change
Lt. Philip Reeves was a helicopter pilot who 5 Funeral to be held for longtime Bridgeport firefighter

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Focus on Connecticut Focus on Connecticut

Features local, state and federal officials discussing the issues around southwestern Connecticut.

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut. Our Lives

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut.

Each week News 12 Connecticut introduces you to Hometown Hero

News 12 highlights people who give to the community.

We spotlight a local team each week. Connecticut Team of the Week

Each week News 12 Connecticut highlights a team from a local school.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE