FAIRFIELD - Six family members were hospitalized after emergency responders found them violently ill with carbon monoxide poisoning at their Fairfield home.

George Gomola, Fairfield's assistant fire chief, says the carbon monoxide levels inside the home were off the charts. The family had been running a generator in their basement for six hours after their power went out, and the house filled with fumes.

Officials stress that homeowners need to practice safety when running a generator at home, and that because it produces carbon monoxide, it needs to be placed outside the home.

The victims were put on pure oxygen, and a 13-year-old boy is still undergoing treatment in a hyperbaric chamber at Norwalk Hospital.