Ashes blamed in Fairfield fire

Firefighters in Fairfield are warning people to be careful where they put fireplace ashes. They say a home on Lakewood Road caught fire yesterday because

Officials say a home on Lakewood Road caught fire yesterday because ashes were put in the basement.

Officials say a home on Lakewood Road caught fire yesterday because ashes were put in the basement. (2/15/16)

FAIRFIELD - Firefighters in Fairfield are warning people to be careful where they put fireplace ashes.

They say a home on Lakewood Road caught fire yesterday because the ashes were put in the basement

They say the ashes then ignited a wall.

The fire chief says homeowners have to be sure to dispose of ashes in a metal container and place them well outside the home.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Authorities say Sophia Hernandez was abducted from a 1 Amber Alert issued by Bridgeport police for 6-year-old girl
Crews worked Thursday to recover the wreckage of 2 Crews recover East Haven plane wreckage; victims identified
3 Connecticut Sportscast, Feb. 23
Weather Kids: Stanwich School 4 Weather Kids: Stanwich School
5 Gov. Malloy fires back at Spicer over immigration

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Focus on Connecticut Focus on Connecticut

Features local, state and federal officials discussing the issues around southwestern Connecticut.

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut. Our Lives

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut.

Each week News 12 Connecticut introduces you to Hometown Hero

News 12 highlights people who give to the community.

We spotlight a local team each week. Connecticut Team of the Week

Each week News 12 Connecticut highlights a team from a local school.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE