Bridgeport carbon monoxide leak sends 10 people to hospital

Bridgeport firefighters say that a carbon monoxide (CO) leak sent 10 people to the hospital early this morning.Because the gas and power had been shut

BRIDGEPORT - Bridgeport firefighters say that a carbon monoxide (CO) leak sent 10 people to the hospital early this morning.

Because the gas and power had been shut off at the apartment complex at 232 Madison Ave., someone began using an indoor generator to power appliances, according to officials.

Firefighters forcibly entered a locked cellar where the generator was located before anyone was seriously harmed.

While officials say no one was hurt in the event, many residents say the incident should be a wakeup call about the misuse of generators inside a home.

"Installing a CO detector can save your life," says Jimmy Izzo of Ace Hardware. "It's a gas that you really can?t smell."

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Organizers say they are still accepting memorabilia and 1 'Remembering World War I Project' works to preserve history
VIDEO: Crews battle fire at Port Morris recycling 2 VIDEO: Crews battle fire at Port Morris recycling facility
Marilyn Roos is the chair of the Save 3 Hometown Hero: Marilyn Roos
Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim said he is proud 4 Women's NCAA tournement comes to Bridgeport
A Shelton man charged in a deadly hit-and-run 5 Man charged in Shelton hit-and-run appears in court

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Focus on Connecticut Focus on Connecticut

Features local, state and federal officials discussing the issues around southwestern Connecticut.

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut. Our Lives

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut.

Each week News 12 Connecticut introduces you to Hometown Hero

News 12 highlights people who give to the community.

We spotlight a local team each week. Connecticut Team of the Week

Each week News 12 Connecticut highlights a team from a local school.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE