BRIDGEPORT - Bridgeport firefighters say that a carbon monoxide (CO) leak sent 10 people to the hospital early this morning.

Because the gas and power had been shut off at the apartment complex at 232 Madison Ave., someone began using an indoor generator to power appliances, according to officials.

Firefighters forcibly entered a locked cellar where the generator was located before anyone was seriously harmed.

While officials say no one was hurt in the event, many residents say the incident should be a wakeup call about the misuse of generators inside a home.

"Installing a CO detector can save your life," says Jimmy Izzo of Ace Hardware. "It's a gas that you really can?t smell."