Brien McMahon High School student barred from prom weeks after fiery SUV accident

Police said earlier this month that the SUV carrying the students struck another car at the intersection of Steppingstone Road and Fillow Street. (5/30/14)

Related media

See extended video from thre scene of a VIDEO: Norwalk crash

NORWALK - A Norwalk teen recovering from a violent car accident is at odds with school administrators over whether she can go to prom.

Bianca DellaVentura, is one of the eight teens from Brien McMahon High School whose SUV flipped over and burst into flames. Police said earlier this month that the SUV carrying the students struck another car at the intersection of Steppingstone Road and Fillow Street.

News 12 spoke to the teen the day after the May 10 crash. She had a broken nose, an injured knee and a concussion. Her grandmother, Jo-Ann DellaVentura, says she is still recovering from the head trauma and has not been able to attend school because of it.

Read More: Connecticut Top Stories

DellaVentura says she hopes to be back in class before prom.

Still, the grandmother says a school administrator told her Friday morning that the teen won't be allowed to attend. Other crash victims, like DellaVentura's boyfriend, were permitted to purchase tickets for the prom.

The boyfriend says he bought two. One was meant for DellaVentura.

A representative from the school superintendent's office told News 12 that while she could not comment on DellaVentura specifically, students who pose health and safety concerns are not allowed to participate in extra-curricular activities, including prom.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

advertisement | advertise on News 12