FAIRFIELD - An arts-and-crafts project that caught fire in Fairfield today resulted in the loss of a woman's family pet.

Fairfield firefighters responded to a call on Jennings Road around noon today and found a small fire with heavy smoke.

Firefighters were unable to douse the flames, but they could not revive the homeowner's cat, which was overcome by the fumes. They say the woman did the right thing, however, by not trying to find the cat herself.

"If she had gone back in and looked for her cat herself, there's a very high probability that she would have been overcome by smoke," says Assistant Chief George Gomola, of the Fairfield Fire Department.