Cat dies in Fairfield fire

FAIRFIELD - An arts-and-crafts project that caught fire in Fairfield today resulted in the loss of a woman's family pet.

Fairfield firefighters responded to a call on Jennings Road around noon today and found a small fire with heavy smoke.

Firefighters were unable to douse the flames, but they could not revive the homeowner's cat, which was overcome by the fumes. They say the woman did the right thing, however, by not trying to find the cat herself.

"If she had gone back in and looked for her cat herself, there's a very high probability that she would have been overcome by smoke," says Assistant Chief George Gomola, of the Fairfield Fire Department.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Max Antoine, 33, was shot and killed early 1 Family urges Stamford man's killer to surrender to police
The state's attorney's office called Jheison Callecastro, 21, 2 Suspect in police chase appears in court
State and local leaders kicked off a city-wide 3 Bridgeport kicks off anti-litter campaign
One person has been pronounced dead after an 4 Police: 1 person killed in Bridgeport shooting
Police say a man and woman from New 5 Police: Couple steals $30K in supplies from Home Depot

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Focus on Connecticut Focus on Connecticut

Features local, state and federal officials discussing the issues around southwestern Connecticut.

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut. Our Lives

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut.

Each week News 12 Connecticut introduces you to Hometown Hero

News 12 highlights people who give to the community.

We spotlight a local team each week. Connecticut Team of the Week

Each week News 12 Connecticut highlights a team from a local school.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE