Chemical spill in Greenwich class prompts evacuation

A chemical spill in a Greenwich science class prompted an evacuation Friday.Greenwich fire officials say around 10 a.m. a jar containing a deer fetus cracked

GREENWICH - A chemical spill in a Greenwich science class prompted an evacuation Friday.

Greenwich fire officials say around 10 a.m. a jar containing a deer fetus cracked at Western Junior High School. About two quarts of formaldehyde spilled onto the floor of the classroom.

Firefighters say some students and a janitor were exposed to fumes from the irritant chemical, which can cause a burning sensation in the eyes and throat and nausea. No one was injured from the spill.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Team of the Week: St. Joseph High School 1 Team of the Week: St. Joseph High School football
Police say the driver hit a utility pole 2 Car hits pole, rolls over on Fairfield Avenue
VIDEO: Bridgeport landlord sentencing 3 VIDEO: Bridgeport landlord sentencing
Police say the driver came very close to 4 Driver crashes into a pallet of wood in Norwalk
A video from May 2015 shows Larry Johnson 5 Man sentenced after stealing Rolex watch

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Focus on Connecticut Focus on Connecticut

Features local, state and federal officials discussing the issues around southwestern Connecticut.

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut. Our Lives

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut.

Each week News 12 Connecticut introduces you to Hometown Hero

News 12 highlights people who give to the community.

We spotlight a local team each week. Connecticut Team of the Week

Each week News 12 Connecticut highlights a team from a local school.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE