STAMFORD - Stamford fire crews battled the cold weather while putting out a fire Sunday evening.

The fire sparked at a home on High Ridge Road around 5 p.m.

Emergency crews say the occupants of the two-family house reported smelling smoke.

"There is significant damage on the first floor in and around the fireplace and wood stove area," says captain Matthew Palmer. "The bedroom sustained a moderate to significant amount of fire damage."

Fire officials are investigating the cause of the fire. There is no word if anyone was displaced.