NORWALK - Officials with the state Department of Agriculture say 14 people have been sickened after eating shellfish originating from southwestern Connecticut.

Officials say the shellfish were harvested in Norwalk and Westport, and were likely infected by bacteria that expanded faster than usual this summer due to the extreme heat.

Doctors say shellfish bacteria can bring about symptoms similar to those of a stomach virus - nausea, vomiting and cramps. They say eating tainted shellfish will usually affect people for about 24 hours.

The shellfish beds that have been closed will be retested, and are expected to reopen in about a month.