NORWALK - Doctors are advising homeowners how to best deal with mold as the wet weather can lead to irritating respiratory conditions.

Physicians insist that simply wiping away mold with a damp sponge will not solve the problem. Bleach or another chemical may be necessary to completely eliminate the source of the spores.

Bob Knight, of Stamford-based RTK Environmental Group, says people must also be aware of water in their homes and get rid of it right away. "Mold loves to grow in this kind of an environment, especially a wet basement," says Knight.

Respiratory infection symptoms may include sneezing, wheezing, nasal congestion and itchy eyes.