MILFORD - Public health officials say testing began Wednesday at a Milford apartment complex after traces of a toxic chemical were found on the property.

Officials say small amounts of Tetrachloroethylene, or PCE, were found in ground water at the Robert Treat Apartment Complex. Investigators say the chemical, which is commonly used in dry cleaning, could have been leaked into the ground by Milford Cleaning Village, a dry cleaning shop that borders the apartment complex, but has been closed for several years.

Crews gathered soil and water samples from the property Wednesday to monitor how far the chemical may have spread. The Milford health director says drinking water is safe and his main concern is that the PCE could vaporize inside nearby homes over time.

The health director says there is no cause for concern and that the tests are ongoing.