WILTON - Local emergency officials are warning the public about the dangers of using generators after a woman in Bloomfield died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning from using the device.

Experts estimate that 100 people die nationwide each year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Reports say that 135 people in Connecticut alone have been poisoned from carbon monoxide since the storm.

Officials say if you do decide to invest in a generator, you should also make sure to invest in a carbon monoxide detector.

Experts say to make sure to set up generators outside and away from vents.

If possible, have a licensed electrician hook it up and also use low-gage wires.

Carbon monoxide is very hard to detect, since it is colorless, odorless and tasteless, so if you feel dizzy or nauseous and are in the area of a generator, you should seek medical help immediately. Firefighters warn of danger from generators