BRIDGEPORT - A Bridgeport family whose home was destroyed by fire a year ago says they are making progress in rebuilding their lives.

Nelson and Grace Kearney say they are excited to be celebrating the one-year anniversary of the devastating fire that destroyed everything except the clothes on their backs.

As News 12 reported, their home on Edna Avenue was destroyed by a fire sparked by an electrical problem, which officials say was traced back to a different apartment in the multifamily home they lived in.

Their apartment was the only one destroyed.

The family lived in a small hotel room for months after the fire. They say people in their community gave them money, clothing and household goods after the fire.

Exactly a year later, they say they are getting ready to purchase the home they have been renting.

The family also thanked the Bridgeport Board of Education for providing food, clothing and furniture for them.