STAMFORD - The Christmas Day fire that left five people dead in Stamford was an accident sparked by embers from a fireplace, officials announced today.

The fire happened at Madonna Badger's home on Shippan Avenue at around 5 a.m. and left her parents, Lomer and Pauline Johnson, and her three daughters, 10-year-old Lily and 7-year-old twins Grace and Sarah, dead.

Badger and another adult escaped the fatal fire.

Investigators say it appears that Lomer Johnson died trying to save one of his granddaughters from the fire.

Officials say that they aren't sure that smoke detectors were working in the home at the time of the fire.

According to officials, the firefighters who worked on recovering the bodies are receiving counseling to help them cope with the horrors they have dealt with.VIDEO: News conference on fatal Christmas Day fireStamford house torn down after 5 die in fire911 calls from Shippan Ave fire