Fatal Christmas Day fire ruled accidental

STAMFORD - The Christmas Day fire that left five people dead in Stamford was an accident sparked by embers from a fireplace, officials announced today.

The fire happened at Madonna Badger's home on Shippan Avenue at around 5 a.m. and left her parents, Lomer and Pauline Johnson, and her three daughters, 10-year-old Lily and 7-year-old twins Grace and Sarah, dead.

Badger and another adult escaped the fatal fire.

Investigators say it appears that Lomer Johnson died trying to save one of his granddaughters from the fire.

Officials say that they aren't sure that smoke detectors were working in the home at the time of the fire.

According to officials, the firefighters who worked on recovering the bodies are receiving counseling to help them cope with the horrors they have dealt with.VIDEO: News conference on fatal Christmas Day fireStamford house torn down after 5 die in fire911 calls from Shippan Ave fire

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Officials say the incident happened around 2 a.m. 1 1 injured in Stamford shooting
Police say they are investigating a shooting in 2 Police: 22-year-old shot in Bridgeport
News 12 asked viewers what they thought of 3 Connecticut Talks Trump: First 100 Days
Police have arrested and charged the alleged suspect 4 Police arrest alleged suspect in Bridgeport shooting
Police say a Bridgeport man was shot multiple 5 Man shot multiple times in Bridgeport apartment complex

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Focus on Connecticut Focus on Connecticut

Features local, state and federal officials discussing the issues around southwestern Connecticut.

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut. Our Lives

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut.

Each week News 12 Connecticut introduces you to Hometown Hero

News 12 highlights people who give to the community.

We spotlight a local team each week. Connecticut Team of the Week

Each week News 12 Connecticut highlights a team from a local school.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE