Officials mull Penfield Pavilion repair options

Fairfield officials said Thursday that they are reviewing options for repairing or replacing the Penfield Pavilion, which was damaged by Superstorm Sandy. Town officials announced

Officials closed Penfield Pavilion after Hurricane Sandy badly damaged it in 2012.  The storm hit just 15 months after the pavilion had been renovated.

Officials closed Penfield Pavilion after Hurricane Sandy badly damaged it in 2012. The storm hit just 15 months after the pavilion had been renovated. (8/20/15)

FAIRFIELD - Fairfield officials said Thursday that they are reviewing options for repairing or replacing the Penfield Pavilion, which was damaged by Superstorm Sandy.

Town officials announced Wednesday that FEMA had agreed to cover a significant portion of the repair costs.

Most of the damage is to the building's foundation, according to officials.

They said that has driven up the cost of repairs to more than the $6 million budget.

News 12 previously reported that FEMA agreed to reimburse the town up to 75 percent of repair costs, leaving the town to foot the remaining 25 percent.

Because of the high cost, town officials said they are weighing whether to attempt a costly repair, or raze the existing structure and install something new.

First Selectman Michael Tetreau said officials hope to quickly determine which option is more cost effective.

The pavilion has been fenced off for years. Officials had initially hoped to reopen the area by 2016, but said they will likely push that date back.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

1 Connecticut Sportscast, Jan. 17
Lawrence Dilione and James Rackover are facing multiple 2 Suspects in Stamford man's murder waive court appearances
This comes after tensions between communities and police 3 Norwalk police to host traffic stop program for students
4 Scholar Athlete: Gino Esposito
Joseph Comunale 5 New details released in murder of Stamford man

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Focus on Connecticut Focus on Connecticut

Features local, state and federal officials discussing the issues around southwestern Connecticut.

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut. Our Lives

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut.

Each week News 12 Connecticut introduces you to Hometown Hero

News 12 highlights people who give to the community.

We spotlight a local team each week. Connecticut Team of the Week

Each week News 12 Connecticut highlights a team from a local school.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE