MILFORD - A fire tore through a boarding house in Milford last night, leaving approximately a dozen residents homeless.

The fire on North Street began at around 10 p.m. yesterday. Fire officials say they believe it started on the second floor before spreading to the walls, causing the fire to take a while to bring under control.

An eyewitness says the flames engulfed the building very quickly.

Resident Frank Satta says it was a miracle he was able to salvage some of his belongings from the debris.

Firefighters say no one was hurt and the building did have working smoke detectors, but they have yet to determine a cause. The Red Cross is assisting two of the tenants.