STAMFORD - Stamford's fire marshal says an early morning lightning strike may be responsible for a fire that broke out inside a home overnight.

Firefighters say they were called to the home on Thorn Ridge Drive around 4:20 a.m. this morning after the homeowners were awoken by lightning and immediately smelled smoke.

They say the fire was burning inside the ceiling over the living room and crews had to tear apart the ceiling and the wall to make sure the fire was out.

Crews say the fire could have been much worse if no one was home at the time.

Authorities say firefighters had a tough time getting water to the scene because the fire hydrants were so far away.

No one was hurt in the incident.