STAMFORD - Stamford fire officials say a heating source was to blame for a carbon monoxide leak at an apartment complex.

They say a heating source that wasn't vented properly caused the carbon monoxide to leak into the apartments on 293 Bridge St. at around 9:30 p.m. Monday.

Officials say it’s lucky that no one was home at the time because the level of carbon monoxide inside that apartment building could have been fatal.

Fire officials say the incident serves as a reminder of the importance of having a working carbon monoxide detector in every home.