NORWALK - Fire officials say a blaze destroyed a multi-family home in Milford, displacing at least five residents Sunday.

Investigators say the fire started in the second-story kitchen when a resident fell asleep with a pan of oil on the stove just after 1 a.m. The resident woke up once the smoke alarm in the apartment started going off. Jason Hill, an off-duty firefighter who was sleeping in his home just behind the apartment, heard the smoke alarm go off and followed the sound of crackling fire until he found the source.

Hill called 911 before helping the residents remain calm and escape the fire safely. The Milford chapter of the Red Cross is assisting the residents displaced by the blaze. One couple affected by the fire just recently moved in after losing their other home to foreclosure.