Man burns hands while fighting bed bugs

A Bridgeport man is recovering from severe burns on his hands after he accidentally lit his mattress on fire while trying to get rid of

BRIDGEPORT - A Bridgeport man is recovering from severe burns on his hands after he accidentally lit his mattress on fire while trying to get rid of bed bugs.

Joan Valentin says he was simply trying to kill the bugs that had been bothering him at night.

He says he researched his plan online but after lighting the mattress, the fire spread faster than he expected.

Valentin says he burned his hands trying to put out the fire.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Karen Ivers took part in her last graduation 1 Bridgeport nursing director retiring after 35 years
Thousands of people are rallying together in cities 2 Women march in solidarity in Stamford
Bridgeport police say a woman is in critical 3 Police: Woman shot in the head in Bridgeport
Soto's family describes the 31-year-old as funny, helpful, 4 Family mourns death of Stamford man killed in crash
Stamford police say one man is recovering after 5 Police: Man critical after Stamford store shooting

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Focus on Connecticut Focus on Connecticut

Features local, state and federal officials discussing the issues around southwestern Connecticut.

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut. Our Lives

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut.

Each week News 12 Connecticut introduces you to Hometown Hero

News 12 highlights people who give to the community.

We spotlight a local team each week. Connecticut Team of the Week

Each week News 12 Connecticut highlights a team from a local school.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE