MILFORD - An investigation is underway in Milford after state environmental officials say a man died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The man was discovered in his garage on Juniper Drive Tuesday night. Fire officials say crews first came to the home after being notified that a man went into cardiac arrest.

The victim was taken to Milford Hospital, where he later died from his condition. State and local officials went back to his home to investigate after receiving word that the man had high levels of carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide.

Officials say the victim was working on his motorcycle in a closed garage, which is likely where the carbon monoxide came from. Investigators are still trying to figure out the source of the hydrogen cyanide.

Authorities are not yet ruling the death an accident or a suicide. They are not releasing the victim's name, as they are still trying to notify his family.

Milford fire officials say it's important for homeowners to check carbon monoxide detectors once a month and change the batteries twice a year.