GREENWICH - A Greenwich man credited with saving the lives of two people trapped inside a burning home spoke with News 12 about the incident.

Patrick Carr says that he smelled smoke coming from the house next door on Church Street West on Nov. 3. He says he called police and then rushed inside the home at 4 a.m. to wake up unaware residents.

Max Hutter says he was asleep in his apartment on the second floor when the two-family home somehow caught on fire. He says he was woken up by Carr.

“If it weren't for Patrick, I don't think I'd be standing here right now,” Hutler told News 12.

Carr was also able to guide a second person outside the home.

“It sunk in that I saved two lives,” said Carr. “It's a good feeling.”

Firefighters say a dog died in that fire, despite their efforts to revive him with CPR.

Authorities say the cause of the fire was accidental.