MILFORD - Officials say that lit smoking material accidently placed in a waste basket ignited the massive fire that destroyed a Milford strip mall last night.

According to firefighters, flames broke out at around 8 p.m. inside the tobacco store Convenience Junction on Boston Post Road. They say that because the buildings were made of wood, the fire spread quickly, engulfing three other businesses and a vacant store.

Fire crews from surrounding towns and cities had to be called in to help battle the flames.

Officials say that some of the business owners have already contacted the state Department of Emergency Management to apply for loans and get their shops running again.

Milford firefighters battle massive strip mall fire

VIDEO: Milford strip mall fire