MILFORD - The Fourth of July is 10 days away, which means barbecues, beaches and fireworks. 

While parents and children love the beautiful colors lighting up the sky, there was a safety warning from fire officials Friday. 

Safety officials are reminding parents that fireworks are not toys, and that while they may be fun, they are also dangerous.

They say sparklers, which are legal in Connecticut, can get as hot as 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit and can cause third-degree burns. 

It's recommended to stay at least 6 feet away from fireworks after they are lit. 

Fire officials also warn that fireworks can tip over or misfire. They say the further away you are, the less likely you will be injured. 

Milford Fire Capt. Greg Carman says kids should never light fireworks and parents should never try to relight fireworks that didn't go off. 

All fireworks should be doused with water once finished. 

It is already a dry season, and the dry grass and leaves can help a fire to quickly spread.