MONROE - Fire officials are investigating a blaze that destroyed a garage and parts of a house in Monroe Saturday.

Firefighters say the flames at 1 Sunrise Terrace were difficult to extinguish because there was no hydrant nearby. According to fire officials, no one was home at the time of the fire, but the family's pets were killed in the blaze.

One firefighter was hospitalized for smoke inhalation, officials say.

The Red Cross is helping the family find a home for the night while the fire inspector determines when it's safe to return.