BRIDGEPORT - New details are emerging on the carbon monoxide scare that sent 10 Bridgeport residents, including two children, to the hospital over the weekend. The leak happened Saturday morning in a Madison Avenue apartment building. City officials say when they got to the house they detected a deadly concentration of carbon monoxide from a generator that was being run in the basement. Residents say they had been living without electricity and heat for about a week, and that someone installed the generator independently. A tenant says he went to speak to the building's owner about getting the generator removed from the basement, but the landlord never responded. Investigators say they are still trying to figure out who brought the unit, and why United Illuminating cut the power in the first place. Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch says generators should only be used in emergencies, and that the city has programs to help people in danger of having their utilities shut off in the winter.

Bridgeport carbon monoxide leak sends 10 people to hospital