Norwalk family credits dog for alerting them to house fire

Cindy Lyons and her husband were in bed at their home on Truman Street when their 9-month-old Chow named Kai started uncontrollably barking. (1/13/14)

NORWALK - A family in Norwalk are crediting their dog for helping save their lives when their home caught on fire over the weekend.

Cindy Lyons and her husband were in bed at their home on Truman Street when their 9-month-old Chow named Kai started uncontrollably barking.

Lyons says she muted her television and heard her smoke detectors going off.

Read More: Connecticut Top Stories

They then saw the fire at their front door and called 911. The couple grabbed their other two dogs and a parrot, but Kai was trapped inside the burning house. She was freed after the fire was extinguished.

The house suffered extensive damage, including two cars in the garage.

Norwalk fire officials have not yet identified the cause of the fire.

Kai was treated for smoke inhalation and is expected to be OK.

Add new comment

advertisement | advertise on News 12

advertisement | advertise on News 12