Norwalk home explodes after gas leak

NORWALK - Crews remained at the scene of a Norwalk house explosion Wednesday combing through the ash and rubble.

The home exploded due to a gas main break Tuesday, leaving a family homeless for the holidays. Firefighters say they received the call at 9:30 p.m. The blast blew the roof off of the Ohio Avenue home and sent flames shooting into the air.

Andrea and Jim Wuffleuff and their 18-month-old son were able to escape. Jim Wuffleuff, however, suffered burns to his hands and face. The couple had apparently smelled the gas and was trying to find the source of the leak when the explosion occurred.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Katie Rosa is a self-proclaimed 1 Hometown Hero: Katie Rosa
Workers from New York headed to Stamford Tuesday 2 Striking Charter Communications workers protest in Stamford
Greenwich police say they believe the same man 3 Police: Chase Bank robbed for second time in 24 hours
Fairfield Ludlowe High School students to witness mock 4 Fairfield Ludlowe H.S. students witness mock crash
Fairfield Ludlowe High School students to witness mock 5 Fairfield Ludlowe H.S. students to witness mock crash

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Focus on Connecticut Focus on Connecticut

Features local, state and federal officials discussing the issues around southwestern Connecticut.

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut. Our Lives

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut.

Each week News 12 Connecticut introduces you to Hometown Hero

News 12 highlights people who give to the community.

We spotlight a local team each week. Connecticut Team of the Week

Each week News 12 Connecticut highlights a team from a local school.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE