Norwalk student hospitalized after smoking 'herbal incense'

NORWALK - School officials in Norwalk are warning parents about a dangerous substance they say students are smoking as an alternative to marijuana.

Briggs High School Principal Alaine Lane says a student was hospitalized after smoking "herbal incense."

Experts say the drug is not only more potent than marijuana, but when teens see it on store shelves, they think, "it can't be that bad." They say the substance is marketed as "incense" under names like "K2" and "Mr. Nice Guy," and carries a warning that it should not be consumed or inhaled.

Some states have banned the substance altogether, and after seeing the effects first hand, Lane says Connecticut should follow suit.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Max Antoine, 33, was shot and killed early 1 Family urges Stamford man's killer to surrender to police
News 12 Long Island's Doug Geed takes a 2 Tasty Tuesday: Fresh spring ingredients
Steven Matz, of East Setauket, brought his family 3 LI native Steven Matz takes mound in Game 4
4 VIDEO: News conference from Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office
5 VIDEO: Students get crash course on disaster preparedness

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Focus on Connecticut Focus on Connecticut

Features local, state and federal officials discussing the issues around southwestern Connecticut.

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut. Our Lives

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut.

Each week News 12 Connecticut introduces you to Hometown Hero

News 12 highlights people who give to the community.

We spotlight a local team each week. Connecticut Team of the Week

Each week News 12 Connecticut highlights a team from a local school.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE