NYC man pleads guilty in boy's dismemberment death

(AP) - Looking dazed and speaking barely above a whisper, a Brooklyn hardware store clerk pleaded guilty Thursday to charges he abducted and dismembered an

NEW YORK - (AP) - Looking dazed and speaking barely above a whisper, a Brooklyn hardware store clerk pleaded guilty Thursday to charges he abducted and dismembered an 8-year-old boy who lost his way home. The guilty plea to second-degree murder and kidnapping guarantees Levi Aron a sentence of 40 years to life in a case that traumatized the victim's tight-knit Orthodox Jewish community. Aron, 36, had previously pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder and, if convicted, would have faced life without parole. But the family of Leiby Kletzky urged prosecutors to strike a deal to avoid the painful spectacle of a trial. "There is no way one can comprehend or understand the pain of losing a child," the boy's father, Nachman Kletzky wrote in a statement distributed to the press. But he added that the plea gave the family "some partial closure on one aspect of this nightmare." Legal closure came Thursday afternoon after an expressionless Aron was led into the courtroom wearing an orange jail jump suit, handcuffs and a yarmulke. Judge Neil Firetog began by telling him that after seeing psychological reports, he was convinced claiming mental illness was "not a viable defense." The judge then had Aron answer a series of often leading questions about his conduct. His one-word responses were delivered in a low, flat monotone after long pauses and prodding by his lawyers. Aron expressed no remorse and only hinted at motive: At one point he told the judge he felt "panic" when he found out there was a frantic search on for the boy, who was still alive in his apartment. The judge asked him what he decided to do, and he responded simply, "Smother." He also answered yes when asked if he had bound and drugged Leiby. Afterward, defense attorney Jennifer McCann insisted that her client, though under medication, knew what he was doing. "He came here to accept responsibility for his actions," McCann said. "He understands the charges." The plea deal means Aron could technically qualify for a parole, but only if he survives in prison into his mid-70s.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

The two women hurt in the crash were 1 Fundraiser started for women hurt in tractor-trailer crash
Authorities say it happened in the Springdale section 2 Stamford PD: Teens rob unlocked car in Springdale section
Police say two women from Stamford were badly 3 Police: 2 women injured after tractor-trailer hits car
Stamford community members say they are shocked by 4 Community mourns death of Stamford man
Police say Victor Medina-Fajardo crossed over the yellow 5 Stamford man due in court for fatal hit-and-run

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Focus on Connecticut Focus on Connecticut

Features local, state and federal officials discussing the issues around southwestern Connecticut.

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut. Our Lives

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut.

Each week News 12 Connecticut introduces you to Hometown Hero

News 12 highlights people who give to the community.

We spotlight a local team each week. Connecticut Team of the Week

Each week News 12 Connecticut highlights a team from a local school.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE