BRIDGEPORT - Bridgeport firefighters responded to a two-alarm house fire Wednesday evening.
Authorities say the blaze broke out at 181 Poplar St., and that they have reason to believe fireworks sparked the flames.
Witnesses say they heard fireworks immediately before the fire started.
Assistant Fire Chief Ivan Fossesigurani says people in the home tried to douse the flames themselves, but their efforts were in vain.
Six children were safely removed from the home. However, two police officers were hospitalized for smoke inhalation.