NORWALK - The Norwalk deputy fire chief says the cause of the fire that destroyed a home on Powder Horn Road this morning was a homemade outdoor brick fireplace that was below the back deck of the home.

Flames completely engulfed the home and neighbors say it looked like something out of a movie.

The flames reached well above the roofs of nearby homes and thick black smoke blanketed the neighborhood.

Fire crews say they had problems putting it out because the nearest hydrant was 1,000 feet away.

The owner of the home says it was being rented and that thanks to smoke detectors, everyone inside was able to get out, unharmed.

VIDEO: Norwalk house destroyed in fire