MILFORD - An elderly Milford woman and her son escaped from a fire in their home this morning that authorities say was sparked by flames they thought they had put out.

Investigators say one of the homeowners accidentally dropped a lit cigarette on a chair last night. The chair ignited. They thought they extinguished the flames and put the furniture outside before bed. The chair reignited over time outside, but was left too close to the home causing flames to spread through the house.

A passerby saw the fire at the Sharon Court home and rushed to wake up the homeowners this morning.

Investigators say no one was seriously hurt.

For extended footage of the Milford house fire, click on iO Extra on Channel 612.