FAIRFIELD - New information has been released about the Fairfield man who took his own life by consuming potassium cyanide.
Police say 69-year-old Allan Banks was a chemist and originally obtained the chemical back in the 1980s. Banks committed suicide at his home on Clinton Street after leaving notes warning others that there were hazardous materials inside the house.
Experts say the chemical is easy to come by. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says potassium cyanide can release a gas that is highly toxic and interferes with the body's ability to burn oxygen.