STAMFORD - New questions are surfacing about fire safety measures taken in the home where three young girls and their grandparents were killed in a Christmas Day fire.

Broadcast reports say smoke alarms and extinguishers were removed from the house during renovations and put into the garage so painters could work on the interior.

The deaths were ruled accidental and the cause of the fire was from smoldering fireplace embers that were left in a bag in the house.

Meanwhile, published reports are also saying Madonna Badger, one of the two survivors of the fire at her home, was hospitalized last week after injuring herself in a suicide attempt to end the pain of losing her family.

Funeral held for girls killed in Stamford Christmas Day fire Firefighters: Funeral for 3 girls one of the most difficult daysHundreds gather for wake of girls killed in Christmas Day fireStamford fatal Christmas fire linked to SantaFirefighters offer safety tips in wake of Stamford fireFirefighters receive special counseling after Stamford fireStamford house torn down after 5 die in fire5 killed in Christmas morning house fire