SOUTHPORT - The Fairfield Fire Department says heavy snow was the cause of a carbon monoxide scare in Southport this morning.

Officials say they were called to the home on Barberry Road, where a resident was suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Firefighters say snow and ice covered the furnace vent, causing the gas to back up into the house.  The snow also made it difficult for first responders, who say they had to call on the Public Works Department to help clear the way to the home.

Firefighters say they recorded high carbon monoxide levels in the house, but the homeowner did not have to be taken to the hospital.