MILFORD - Some students in Milford will kick off the new school year Wednesday using a tried-and-true means of transportation: by walking.

The Board of Education voted in April to strictly enforce its busing requirements, meaning approximately 180 middle and high school students who live less than 2 miles from school have to find another way to get there. Up until this year, the students had been considered courtesy bus riders.

Kathy Betz, the mother of a 17-year-old boy and 14-year-old daughter, feels the Board of Education should go back to the drawing board. Her children will now walk to Jonathan Law High School in Milford.

While she says she sees the health benefits in a brisk walk to school, she also sees the risks of walking along busy Post Road and she foresees problems when winter sets in.

"I've slipped on these several times. They’re very small," Betz says referring to steps along the route. "And in inclement weather, they aren't shoveled."

School officials are allowing the students to apply for spots on buses. Applications must be submitted by mid-September; spots will be given in October if there is room on buses.