STAMFORD - One day before the two-year anniversary of the tragic fire that killed five people, Stamford firefighters are reminding everyone to be cautious this time of year.

At the Stamford Fire Department, firefighters say they get more calls around Christmas time.

They say the risk of fire is greater with people cooking for the holidays and the usage of extra electricity with lights inside and outside people’s homes.

On Christmas Eve in 2011, a fire in a Stamford mansion killed three girls and their grandparents. The house was being renovated at the time and did not have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors installed.

Fire officials caution residents to make sure they have working smoke detectors.