STAMFORD - A two-story house exploded in Stamford on Tuesday, injuring the homeowner and a firefighter who responded to the scene.

Police say they received a call at around 2 p.m. reporting a deafening blast and house fire at 305 Webbs Hill Rd. They say no one was inside at the time, but that the homeowner was at the back of the property near a pool house. He was conscious and speaking with them once they arrived, and was taken to the hospital.

Fire officials say they worked all afternoon and into the evening to burn off the remnants of a 500-gallon propane tank located underground.

Crews closed off surrounding roads shortly after the blast due not only to the fire, but to possible damage in adjacent homes.

The injured firefighter was not severely hurt.  

For a full news conference on the explosion, watch the clip to the left or click News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612.