STRATFPRD - People in Stratford are reportedly chipping in to support one of their local leaders after his home was seriously damaged in a fire last week.

The Stratford Star reports Third District Councilman Wali Kadeem lives in a Larkin Court home that caught fire last Thursday.

Fellow Councilwoman Tina Manus set up a GoFundMe page to help Kadeem and his family. 

It has already surpassed the fundraising goal, with more than $1,300 collected.

The fire reportedly started in an electrical outlet near the foot of the bed and spread to a mattress.

Firefighters say no one was hurt.