Stratford residents raise money for local leader affected by house fire

The Stratford Star reports Third District Councilman Wali Kadeem lives in a Larkin Court home that caught fire last Thursday.

The Stratford Star reports Third District Councilman Wali Kadeem lives in a Larkin Court home that caught fire last Thursday. (8/22/16)

STRATFPRD - People in Stratford are reportedly chipping in to support one of their local leaders after his home was seriously damaged in a fire last week.

The Stratford Star reports Third District Councilman Wali Kadeem lives in a Larkin Court home that caught fire last Thursday.

Fellow Councilwoman Tina Manus set up a GoFundMe page to help Kadeem and his family. 

It has already surpassed the fundraising goal, with more than $1,300 collected.

The fire reportedly started in an electrical outlet near the foot of the bed and spread to a mattress.

Firefighters say no one was hurt.

More on this topic

Stratford Fire Donations

If viewers are interested in donating to the family:

Councilwoman Tina Manus: tmanus@townofstratford.com

GoFundMe

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

VIDEO: Interview with former Suffolk County Executive Steve 1 VIDEO: Interview with former Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy
Workers from New York headed to Stamford Tuesday 2 Striking Charter Communications workers protest in Stamford
News 12 speaks with residents about what they 3 Westchester Talks Trump: Tax plan
VIDEO: Interview with SUNY Old Westbury President Dr. 4 VIDEO: Interview with SUNY Old Westbury president
5 Connecticut Sportscast, April 27

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Focus on Connecticut Focus on Connecticut

Features local, state and federal officials discussing the issues around southwestern Connecticut.

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut. Our Lives

Celebrates African-American culture in southwestern Connecticut.

Each week News 12 Connecticut introduces you to Hometown Hero

News 12 highlights people who give to the community.

We spotlight a local team each week. Connecticut Team of the Week

Each week News 12 Connecticut highlights a team from a local school.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE