BRIDGEPORT - A Bridgeport woman says toxic mold has led to severe complications with her pregnancy.

Mercedes Bowman tells News 12 that she was exposed to at least two types of toxic mold over a prolonged period of time.

According to Bowman's medical records, she was exposed to excessive levels of indoor mold in an apartment she recently moved out of and the contamination made her sick.

She says she wants to educate the public about the dangers of mold in honor of National Indoor Toxic Mold Awareness Month in September.

Doctors says mold spores produce toxic vapors which can have serious health effects on humans and animals.

Bowman says her doctors are doing everything they can to minimize the effects of toxic mold on her unborn child who is due in January.

According to officials, toxic mold is especially prevalent on the eastern seaboard.