WESTPORT - In an effort to prevent home fires, the Westport Fire Department shared some safety tips for those who use holiday decorations.

One of the safety tips Westport Fire Department Assistant Chief Larry Conklin told homeowners is to keep candles away from Christmas trees. He also told them to purchase holiday lights that have a UL safety listing because the certified lights don't tend to overheat as much as other lights, reducing the chances of a fire. He also said that crossing electrical wires can cause fires due to overheating.

Assistant Chief Conklin reminded homeowners to keep water in the base stand for natural trees. He also urged homeowners to throw away natural Christmas trees shortly after New Year's Day because if they're left indoors for a longer period of time, they will become dry and susceptible to catching fire.