WESTPORT - A Westport firefighter is being called a hero for alerting a man to a carbon monoxide leak in his home.

Dan Ambruso was driving home after his shift Wednesday when he noticed something unusual.

Black smoke was coming from a home on North Compo Road, a home that Ambruso had been to earlier in the week on a call.

Ambruso stopped to investigate and got Gary Keaton out of the house.

Keaton credits Ambruso for saving his life saying he'd probably be dead if Ambruso has not stopped and alerted him.