NORWALK - This week, News 12 Connecticut's What's Ailing You looks at poison ivy.
Dr. Debra Weissman, of the Dermatology Center of Connecticut, says poison ivy is really an allergic reaction to a plant resin.
Some reactions to poison ivy can be severe. Dr. Weissman says a doctor is needed right away if it is widespread or if it involves the face or genitals.
READ MORE: What's Ailing You?
The biggest myth about poison ivy is that it can be transmitted from one person to another through the blister fluid. Dr. Weissman says that once the resin is washed off, poison ivy cannot be spread from point A to point B.
Dr. Weissman also recommends to wash every piece of clothing that came into contact with the poison ivy.
News 12 Connecticut wants to know, "What's Ailing You." You ask the medical question and we'll work to find you an expert's answer. Send your questions by way of Facebook or Twitter using the hashtag #WhatsAilingYou.