WESTPORT - A woman from Westport has a cautionary story to tell after an ordinary day of cooking in her home nearly turned tragic.

The victim, Melissa Panick, tells News 12 Connecticut that her shirt caught fire while cooking pasta in her kitchen.

She says she attempted to put out the fire by running water on it. Panick says she then drove herself to Norwalk Hospital because she was experiencing severe pain.

Panick says she thanks the Westport community for supporting her through the traumatic time.

She says people have delivered meals to her home, done her laundry and cleaned her house since the incident.

She says she has lived in her home for 16 years and had never had an accident.