Cat dies in Fairfield fire

An arts-and-crafts project that caught fire in Fairfield today resulted in the loss of a woman's family pet.

Fairfield firefighters responded to a call on Jennings Road around noon today and found a small fire with heavy smoke.

Firefighters were unable to douse the flames, but they could not revive the homeowner's cat, which was overcome by the fumes. They say the woman did the right thing, however, by not trying to find the cat herself.

"If she had gone back in and looked for her cat herself, there's a very high probability that she would have been overcome by smoke," says Assistant Chief George Gomola, of the Fairfield Fire Department.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."